As it does every three months when it releases a quarterly sales report, Nintendo has provided new sales numbers for the best-selling Switch games of all time. They're all Nintendo games, and there are pretty much no surprises on the list, which is led by Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
Nintendo said the April release of The Super Mario Bros. Movie "positively impacted" sales of Mario games, including Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. The game sold an impressive 3.22 million units during the six-month period between April and September, boosting its lifetime haul to 57.01 million copies. This includes copies sold in hardware bundles, but it's an impressive number all the same. For comparison, Red Dead Redemption II and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt have sold 50 million copies each.
For the past three months alone, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe saw the biggest quarterly growth in unit sales, rising by 1.55 million from 54.46 million units sold through the end of June 2023. No other game cracked 1 million copies sold in the latest quarter, but The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom got close with 0.99 million copies sold since June 2023, increasing its lifetime tally to 19.5 million.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a fantastic game that has welcomed many waves of DLC chapters that brought more tracks and characters to the game over time. It's a game that can be recommended to pretty much anyone, so it's no big surprise to see it sitting atop the best-seller chart.
Nintendo's games and hardware sales are expected to see a big jolt soon with Black Friday coming up. Nintendo is selling the usual Mario Kart 8 Deluxe hardware bundle for $300 and a Switch OLED bundle with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for $350. For more, check out GameSpot's rundown of Nintendo's best Black Friday deals.
In other news, the Switch has climbed past 132 million units sold, while game sales have exceeded 1.13 billion. Nintendo is reportedly preparing to launch a new console in 2024, and it could share the same Nintendo Account system as the Switch.
Top 10 best-selling Switch games through September 30, 2023
As compared to June 30, 2023
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe -- 57.01 million (up from 55.46 million)
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons -- 43.38 million (up from 42.79 million)
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate -- 32.44 million (up from 31.77 million)
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild -- 31.15 million (up from 30.65 million)
- Super Mario Odyssey -- 26.95 million (up from 26.44 million)
- Pokemon Sword/Shield --26.02 million (up from 25.92 million)
- Pokemon Scarlet/Violet -- 23.23 million (up from 22.66 million)
- Super Mario Party -- 19.66 million (up from 19.39 million)
- The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom -- 19.5 million (up from 18.51 million)
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe -- 16.7 million (up from 16.17 million)